Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Movie 'smears' Church

It's bad enough that the Church have a two-thousand year history of pushing their own interesting combination of mythology, philosophy, history, literature, and morality onto anyone who'd listen and most who wouldn't...

Oh wait does that offend you? I'm sorry you should probably stop reading now then.

...but now some feel the need to get all uppity and defensive about another author's creation which could be described as the same combination. No I'm not hailing Dan Brown a prophet, I'm just shocked that Catholics like Father Richard Leonard, Director of the Australian Catholic Office for Film and Broadcasting feel the urgent need to proclaim "as with the book, there are a host of mistakes in the film".
Sorry did I understand you correctly?
What you are saying is that a work of fiction has "mistakes"?
Umm...do you regard King Kong as full of mistakes because there's never been a big gorilla terrorising New York? Star Wars also full of mistakes?

I can't remember the last time the Mayor of New York claimed King Kong smeared NYC or America in some way, or the last time a bunch of physicists claimed that Star Wars smeared physics with its ridiculous faster-than-light space ships.

Why do they take themselves so damn seriously? In fairness, at least the Vatican's official newspaper described the movie as "harmless enough". But this hasn't stopped the arguably more fundamental American Catholics protesting against both Dan Brown films and the head of the U.S. Catholic League attacking the creators for "smearing the Catholic Church with fabulously bogus tales".

It is the League and their ilk who are doing the disfavour of smearing the rational world with their own fabulously bogus tales - the problem being, unlike Dan Brown, they claim it all (and a great deal extra) to be factual.

No comments: